On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Ten shutouts spinning
Eight per-game whiffing
Seven triples ripping
Six rookies rising
Five NL stars;
Four comeback runs
Three grand slams
Two (thousand) debuts
And a gold glove worn by Yadi.
- Yadier Molina won his fifth gold glove in 2012. The Cardinals have now won 11 such awards at catcher: Molina (5), Mike Matheny (3), and Tom Pagnozzi (3).
- On July 16, the Cardinals called up Trevor Rosenthal for the first time to the major leagues. When he made his debut in the eighth inning on July 18, he became the 2,000th player in Cardinals’ history. No other franchise in baseball has reached 2,000.
- The Cardinals hit three grand slams in 2012: Carlos Beltran, Yadier Molina and David Freese.
- Facing elimination, the Cardinals entered the ninth inning of Game 5 of the NLDS trailing the Nationals by two runs. With a win expectancy of 3.5%, the Cardinals rallied to score four runs to stun Washington and advance to the league championship series.
- The Cardinals sent five players to the All-Star Game to represent the winning National League squad:
- Several rookies contributed to the team’s success in 2012, perhaps more than in any season in recent memory. Rising to the occasion in particular, Matt Carpenter, Trevor Rosenthal, Pete Kozma, Joe Kelly and Adron Chambers made the original NLDS roster, and Shelby Miller joined them when he replaced the injured Jaime Garcia.
- Daniel Descalso ripped seven triples, tied for 11th in the NL and the most for a Cardinal batter since Brendan Ryan hit seven in 2009. Since he had only 374 at bats, he had the team’s highest triple rate (one every 53 at bats) since Delino DeShields in 1998. Altogether, the Cardinals hit 37 triples, the most as a team since 1992, when they hit 44.
- After missing an entire season with Tommy John surgery, Adam Wainwright returned to strike out a career-best (as a starter) 8.34 batters per game and anchor the rotation as its best pitcher (staff-best 4.4 WAR).
- On Oct. 3, in their final game of the regular season, all of the Cardinal starters were players that they originally drafted and came up through their system:
Po Player Draft round Draft year P Shelby Miller 1 2009 C Tony Cruz 26 2007 1B Bryan Anderson 4 2005 2B Ryan Jackson 5 2009 3B Matt Carpenter 13 2009 SS Pete Kozma 1 2007 LF Adron Chambers 38 2007 CF Shane Robinson 5 2006 RF Skip Schumaker 5 2001
- The Cardinal pitching staff spun 10 shutouts in the regular season of 2012, two by Adam Wainwright alone. (They also shut out the Nationals in Game 3 of the NLDS.) In 2011, they shut out their opponents nine times.
Date Opp Starter Relievers 5/22/12 SDP Wainwright NA 6/9/12 CLE Lohse Rzepczynski, Motte 6/13/12 CHW Lynn Rzepczynski, Motte 7/21/12 CHC Westbrook Browning, Marte, Rosenthal 7/22/12 CHC Lynn Salas, Rzepczynski 8/5/12 MIL Lohse Mujica, Boggs, Motte 8/21/12 HOU Wainwright NA 9/19/12 HOU Lynn Mujica, Boggs, Kelly, Motte 9/25/12 @HOU Garcia Boggs, Kelly 10/3/12 CIN Miller Freeman, Marte, Rzepczynski, Motte