On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
Eleven seasons waiting
Ten years backstopping
Nine playoff games a-winning
Eight wins beyond projecting
Seven wins above replacing
Six stars a-shining
Five Waino years;
Four walkoff wins
Three ‘lowed runs
Two golden gloves
And a base hit to a Rockie.
- Shelby Miller allowed a leadoff hit, then retired the final 27 Colorado Rockies in order, including 13 strikeouts, for a one-hitter on May 10.
- Adam Wainwright won his second and Yadier Molina his sixth Gold Glove in 2013.
- The Cardinals allowed 3.68 runs per game in 2013, their lowest since 1985, helping them to the biggest run differential in the league.
- The Cardinals won four regular-season games on the final play (and two in the playoffs):
NLCS Game 1
World Series Game 3
- The Cardinals and Adam Wainwright agreed to a five-year, $97.5-million contract extension on March 28, the largest deal for a pitcher in franchise history.
- Six Cardinals represented the National League as All-Stars: Elected starters Carlos Beltran and Molina, and manager selections Adam Wainwright, Matt Carpenter, Allen Craig and Edward Mujica (replacement for Wainwright).
- Matt Carpenter posted 7.0 Wins Above Replacement, eighth-most for a second baseman in franchise history (by both Baseball-Reference and Fangraphs WAR):
Rk Player Year bWAR fWAR 1 Rogers Hornsby 1924 12.1 12.5 2 Rogers Hornsby 1921 10.8 11.2 3 Rogers Hornsby 1925 10.1 10.8 4 Rogers Hornsby 1922 10.0 10.6 5 Rogers Hornsby 1920 9.6 9.8 6 Frankie Frisch 1927 9.2 9.7 7 Rogers Hornsby 1923 6.7 7.1 8 Matt Carpenter 2013 6.6 7.0 9 Lou Klein 1943 5.8 6.1 10 Red Schoendienst 1953 6.5 5.9
- Few projection systems and prognosticators gave the Cardinals much chance for the 97-win season that they posted: Other than this blogger and a few other homers, the highest projection we could find was for 89 wins, and that was 33 games into the season.
- The Cardinals won nine of the 17 playoff games they played:
NLDS Game 1 vs. Pittsburgh, 9-1
NLDS Game 4 vs. Pittsburgh, 2-1
NLDS Game 5 vs. Pittsburgh, 6-1
NLCS Game 1 vs. Los Angeles, 3-2 (13)
NLCS Game 2 vs. Los Angeles, 1-0
NLCS Game 4 vs. Los Angeles, 4-2
NLCS Game 6 vs. Los Angeles, 9-0
WS Game 2 vs. Boston, 4-2
WS Game 3 vs. Boston, 5-4
- Yadier Molina completed his tenth season with the Cardinals in 2013. He is first among active catchers in caught-stealing % and tied for third all-time in Total Zone Runs as catcher.
- Brock Peterson started eleven seasons in the minor leagues waiting for a chance to play in the big leagues. On July 20, 2013, he got the call.
Year Age Began at Ended at 2003 19 Elizabethton (Rookie) Elizabethton (Rookie) 2004 20 Quad Cities (A) Quad Cities (A) 2005 21 Fort Meyers (A+) Fort Meyers (A+) 2006 22 Fort Meyers (A+) Fort Meyers (A+) 2007 23 New Britain (AA) New Britain (AA) 2008 24 New Britain (AA) Rochester (AAA) 2009 25 Rochester (AAA) Rochester (AAA) 2010 26 Rochester (AAA) Rochester (AAA) 2011 27 Bridgeport (Indie) Bridgeport (Indie) 2012 28 Bridgeport (Indie) Memphis (AAA) 2013 29 Memphis (AAA) St. Louis (MLB)